Monday, February 21, 2011

Two Days Straight from Hell

The past two days in the PICU have been so busy. So busy that I have gotten to do a lot more without supervision, because quite honestly they just needed an extra pair of hands to administer a neb, or re-adjust some non invasive ventilation. The RT I was working with said she felt really bad to use me as part of the work-load, but I genuinely enjoyed it, except for the time when I was so busy I didn't get to sit down for 12 hours. Other than that, it was awesome.

I was quizzed at length by a preceptor on the gas laws. I suck at the gas laws, so that didn't go well. This was while we were taping a mask to a ventilator circuit to jimmy up some non-invasive therapy, because we were out of all the machines. We had to do that multiple times, improvise - which is part of being an RT.

On my second day, I was supposed to work from 3- 11 pm in the ER. However, they had already gone on 2 transports that day, and the ICU was full. FULL. Every room. So I spent the evening in the ICU again. There was a kid I had put on BiPap the day before - now being oscillated. And de-satting to the 50s. Absolute nightmare.

We re-taped an ETT in, which isn't all that exciting, but it was my first time, so that makes everything exciting.  It was on the little girl who was diagnosed with cancer this month. She is still hanging in there, huge abdomen from all the internal bleeding.

I went with the staff when they took a little guy to MRI (post-seizures). I bagged on the way there, and on the way back. They have a vent that can stay in the MRI suite, which is nice. You may remember my story about the last patient I took to MRI. Wow, with kids it is completely different. How we got the patient into the MRI room was this... the nurse picked him up and carried him in. DONE. We were there forever, and no one else had had a break all day either - so they sent me on a covert mission to the emergency department to retrieve some orange juice.

Then after we came back from that, this little fellow also got a lumbar puncture. All in all a pretty shitty day for him. At 18 months, he is newly adopted, and I felt so bad for his adoptive parents - they looked completely terrified!

Something else new I got to see was TPA being injected into a chest tube. I stuck around right to the bitter end of my shift to see it be sucked back out, and honestly was quite disappointed. No gush of blood or anything, just a slow trickle. Boring.

The charge nurse bought everyone pizza - out of her own pocket - as a treat to the nurses since there was going to be no breaks that night. And I ate some even though I went home at 11 :)

So updates on life... I am on reading week this week - no shifts. I have a job interview at the home care company tomorrow AM - nervous. I am still working on this stupid paper - OMG hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment