Thursday, September 30, 2010

First Night Shift : In summary.

The guys I was working with tonight were great and a lot of fun. Someone had brought in a remote controlled helicopter, and they were fiddling around with that, and joking that the babies were so small that this helicopter could be called in for an air transport. I've learned the value of lying. For example, when someone says, "do you want to work with peds and babies when you are done school?" you always should answer in the affirmative. Even if tomorrow someone asked me the opposite question ie: do I want to work with senior citizens, the answer is always yes. Whatever they are doing is obviously where I want to work. Please teach me.

The baby who was at the previous hospital (mom and dad are first cousins, weird joint problem) is at this hospital, so I got to check in on her. I didn't read the chart so I don't know what the problem is with the joints yet, but when I arrived she was just arriving back from surgery (colostomy omg). Add to the long list of this child's problems - born without an anus.

By 3 am I was wandering around like a zombie. Besides some monitorings, and setting up a new transcutaneous monitor there was not a lot going on. The new monitor correlated the CO2 to the arterial gas within 1 mmHg. That is amazing.

Brand New SenTec Digital Monitor. Fancy.

I passed a mirror and was excited to see another student wearing red. Then I realized it was me. Sad times.

At 4 am we were called to a delivery. It was still born, and later the RT I was with said it was the worst looking baby he had ever seen. Its head was kind of mushy, and it's skin was peeling off. It had no eyes. It was so sad. They starting to code it anyway. They intubated, did compressions, administered Epi, and put in a UVC. Which of course made no difference. The parents had no idea this was coming and watching their shock and grief was sickening. Dad kept saying "WTF is happening," over and over again. At some point I left. The room was full of medical staff that were actually qualified, and I was just in the way. As I left the room I could hear someone wretching and vomiting.

 Shortly after this they sent me home. And now I'm off to bed. To be repeated in some form or fashion tomorrow night.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's a helluva night and quite the welcome to NICU. The good news is you've seen the worst it can get and now you'll have a framework for the happiest times too.

    Hang in there! The good times in the hospital are worth it!